VT6315-Series chips are highly integrated host controllers with PCI-Express interface, providing PC systems with high speed, flexible connectivity to a wide range of peripherals and consumer electronics.
The IEEE 1394 high-speed serial bus (known as Firewire™) is a leading PCI peer-to-peer interconnect system and is widely acclaimed as the primary interface for digital audio and video applications. The IEEE 1394a specification enables hot-pluggable high volume connections to PC peripherals such as printers and hard disk drives, multimedia appliances, and consumer electronics devices such as game consoles and video cameras.
VT6315-Series host controllers provide high performance serial connectivity by implementing Link and Physical (PHY) layers for both IEEE 1394 and 1394a High Performance Serial Bus. The controllers are compliant with 1394 OHCI rev. 1.1 with DMA engine support for high performance data transfer via a 32-bit bus master PCI host bus interface.
Supporting the latest high speed IEEE 1394a standards, the VIA VT6315-Series can detect connected device types and automatically configure data speeds to 100, 200, or 400 Mbps transmitting both asynchronous and isochronous (real-time) data packets. The 1394 link core performs arbitration requesting, packet generation and checking, and bus cycle master operations. It also has root node capability and performs retry operations.
The VT6315 series is perfect for motherboard, desktop PC, and embedded system platforms that are looking for a low power, cost effective host controller in a small package. The VIA VT6315-Series has VIA and OHCI software driver support built into all recent Microsoft® Windows® operating systems, from Windows® 98 Second Edition through to Windows® Vista.
- Full compliance to PCI Express Revision 1.1
- Supports Advanced Error Reporting capability
- Active State Power Management (ASPM) to L0s and L1
- Flexible programmable Bus master burst sizes and advanced internal arbitration control to optimize the bus utilization
- Compliance with PCI bus power management specification v1.1 and ACPI v2.0.
- Supports I2C EEPROM to contains 1394 hardware configuration
- Supports Shadow EEPROM mechanism for EEPROM-less application
1394 Function Specifications
- Single chip compliance with IEEE 1394a-2000, 1394-1995 and 1394a Open HCI host controller integrated 2-ports PHY layer function
- Compliance with 1394 Open HCI specification 1.0 and 1.1
- Compliance with IEEE 1394-1995 specification release 1.0
- Compliance with IEEE 1394a P2000
- Provide 8 isochronous transmit contexts
- Provide 4 isochronous receive contexts
- Supports 400 / 200 / 100 Mbps of data transfer rate
- General DMA controller control mechanism and I/F design
- 3-deep physical post write queue
- 4-deep physical response queue
- GUID PROM shadow to EEPROM
Power and Clock Specifications
- Operates at 3.3V power supply
- Built-in 3.3V to 1.2V regulator
- 2KV ESD protection
- Crystal Oscillator: 24.576 MHz
- VT6315N: 7mm x 7mm, 48-pin QFN
- VT6315S: 14mm x 14mm, 128-pin LQFP
- Pin-to-pin with VT6330 (PCIe 2 ports 1394a and PATA/IDE combo controller)
- Co-layout with VT6415 (PCIe PATA/IDE host controller)