The VT6330 is a highly integrated PCI-Express combo controller that integrates two controllers in a single silicon chip: one is an IEEE 1394a 2-port OHCI link layer controller with integrated 400 Mbps 1394a PHY, and the other is a 1-channel PATA (IDE) host controller that supports 2 ATA/ATAPI devices.
VT6330 host controllers provide high performance serial connectivity by implementing Link and Physical (PHY) layers for both IEEE 1394 and 1394a High Performance Serial Bus. The controllers are compliant with 1394 OHCI rev. 1.1 with DMA engine support for high performance data transfer via a 32-bit bus master PCI host bus interface.
Supporting the latest high speed IEEE 1394a standards, the VIA VT6330 can detect connected device types and automatically configure data speeds to 100, 200, or 400 Mbps transmitting both asynchronous and isochronous (real-time) data packets. The 1394 link core performs arbitration requesting, packet generation and checking, and bus cycle master operations. It also has root node capability and performs retry operations.
The VT6330 is also a highly compatible and flexible PATA(IDE) host controller that supports two ATA/ATAPI devices, which in turn support PIO Mode 0/1/2/3/4, Multiword DMA Mode 0/1/2, and Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133. Additionally, VT6330’s IDE interface can support Compact Flash card (CF card) for booting and storing.
The 1394a and PATA (IDE) functions of the VT6330 are supported by the Microsoft® host driver, built into Windows® 98 Second Edition, Windows® ME, Windows® 2000, Windows® XP, Windows® 2003 server, and Windows® Vista.
PCI-Express BUS and Basic Function Specifications
- Full compliance to PCI Express Revision 1.1
- Supports Advanced Error Reporting capability
- Active State Power Management (ASPM) to L0s and L1
- Flexible programmable Bus master burst sizes and advanced internal arbitration control to optimize the bus utilization
- Compliance with PCI bus power management specification v1.1 and ACPI v2.0.
- Supports PCI Multi-Function and designs for Microsoft Windows
- Supports SPI ROM to contain specific hardware configuration
- Supports I2C EEPROM to contains 1394 hardware configuration
- Supports Shadow EEPROM mechanism for EEPROM-less application
1394 Function Specification
- Single chip compliance with IEEE 1394a-2000, 1394-1995 and 1394a Open HCI host controller integrated 2-ports PHY layer function
- Compliance with 1394 Open HCI specification 1.0 and 1.1
- Compliance with IEEE 1394-1995 specification release 1.0
- Compliance with IEEE 1394a P2000
- Provide 8 isochronous transmit contexts
- Provide 4 isochronous receive contexts
- Supports 400 / 200 / 100 Mbps of data transfer rate
- General DMA controller control mechanism and I/F design
- 3-deep physical post write queue
- 4-deep physical response queue
- GUID PROM shadow to EEPROM
PATA(IDE) Function Specification
- Support Bus Master Programming interface v1.0 support
- Supports up to 2 ATA/ATAPI storage devices
- Support PIO Mode 0,1,2,3,4
- Support Multiword DMA mode 0,1,2
- Support UDMA 33/66/100/133
- Supports 48-bit logical block addressing
- IDE interface supports CF Card boot/storage function
Power and Clock Specification
- Operates at 3.3V power supply
- Built-in 3.3V to 1.2V regulator
- 2KV ESD protection
- Crystal Oscillator: 24.576 MHz
- 14mm x 14mm, 128-pin LQFP
- Pin-to-pin with VT6315S (PCIe 2 ports 1394a host controller)
- Co-layout with VT6415 (PCIe PATA/IDE host controller)