The VIA Vectro VT6213L is a high performance 2-port USB 2.0 host controller specifically designed for PCs and mobile systems. The VIA Vectro VT6213L features all the high performance characteristics of the VIA Vectro host controller line, as well as support for combo solutions with IEEE 1394 (Firewire), Serial ATA and Gigabit Ethernet.
Benefits of the VIA Vectro VT6213L
Multi-functionality: With two downstream ports for USB 2.0 and combinations with IEEE 1394 (Firewire), Serial ATA and Gigabit Ethernet, supporting multiple downstream ports, the VIA Vectro VT6213L enables simultaneous operation of multiple devices, allowing connectivity to the installed base as well as incorporation of the latest emerging communication technologies. Supporting PCI and Cardbus interfaces, the VIA Vectro VT6213L delivers high performance for multiple market segments.
Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Performance: Certified by the USB-IF for Hi-Speed USB 2.0 operation, the VIA Vectro VT6213L is one of the top USB 2.0 performers in the industry, delivering superior performance, especially in data access and read/write speeds.
Simplicity: The VIA Vectro VT6213L allows hot swapping and provides a cost-effective single chip peripheral connection interface for all USB 2.0-enabled PC peripherals as well as the new generation of higher bandwidth devices, such as digital cameras and MP3 players.
Energy-Efficiency: Based on low power architecture and advanced process technology, the VIA Vectro VT6213L USB 2.0 host controller optimizes power management, ensuring reliability and connectivity in critical low power conditions and saving battery life in mobile systems.
Flexibility: The option of a PCI add-in card, a Cardbus for mobile systems or a discrete chipset installed directly onto the mainboard provides the most flexible approach for system builders and OEMs of installing this recognized communications standard.
The VT6213L USB 2.0 UHCI and EHCI Host Controller for PCI 2.2 Bus supports various data transaction bandwidths between host and USB peripherals. The UHCI (Universal Host Controller Interface) Host Controller is compliant with USB Specification 1.1 and supports both Low (1.5 Mbps) and Full (12 Mbps) transfer bandwidth. The EHCI (Enhanced Host Controller Interface) Host Controller is USB Specification 2.0 compliant and fully supports Low, Full and High (480 Mbps) bandwidth.
The VT6213L supports all four types of data transfer defined in the USB Specifications. The transactions of the transfer can be initiated between the memory buffer on the host end and the end point of the peripheral USB device, or vice versa.
Transactions are organized into data packets prior to command execution, therefore engaging the appropriate transfer type.
The VT6213L adopts 2 DMA engines with pipelined control for USB data transfer bandwidth improvement and dynamic clock stop control for power consumption reduction.
The Root Hub is integrated with physical-layer transceivers shared by UHCI (for full/low-speed) and EHCI (for high-speed) Host Controllers. The VT6213L also supports PCI-Bus Power Management Interface Specification 1.1 and has legacy support for all downstream facing ports.
The VT6213L is ready to provide a PCI 2-port USB 2.0 peripheral-interface to satisfy the needs of desktops, mobile systems, and other host platforms. Support for the VT6213L is built into Microsoft® Windows® XP and Windows® 2000. Windows® Vista, Win98SE and WinME drivers are provided by VIA.
VT6213L Block Diagram
- USB 2.0
- Compliant with Universal Serial Bus Specification Revision 2.0
- Compliant with Enhanced Host Controller Interface Specification Revision 1.0
- Compliant with Universal Host Controller Interface Specification Revision 1.1
- PCI multi-function device consists of two UHCI Host Controllers for full/low-speed signaling and one EHCI Host Controller core for high-speed signaling
- 2 downstream facing ports in the root hub with integrated physical layer transceivers shared by UHCI and EHCI Host Controllers
- Supports PCI-Bus Power Management Interface Specification release 1.1
- Legacy support for all downstream facing ports
- 2 DMA engines with pipelined control for USB data transfer bandwidth improvement
- Dynamic clock stop control for power consumption reduction
- Serial EEPROM support for boot register update
- Cardbus mode support
- 2.5V Power supply with 5V tolerant inputs
- Manufactured using the 0.22µm, low power CMOS process
- 128-Pin LQFP (14mm x 20mm) low profile package available
- Schematics and PCB reference designs available
- 24 MHz crystal system clock
- Support for PCI Mobile Design Guide